Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sometimes

The place your at is so strong spiritually that you can't escape the fact. One place I remember especially vividly was a house where I resided with my two young children and My wife. In most popular terms, it was and probably still is haunted. Things went on in the house that defied explanation.


The first thing that happened was the breaking of our bedroom window. We were in the Living room watching TV about 8 pm during the winter. Suddenly, the bedroom window in the next room broke and we looked at each other as we heard the initial chards of glass hit the wooden floor and shatter and then as more and more chards broke on the floor. It seemed to go on for about 30 seconds, although I am not certain of the time frame. I hurriedly arose from my chair and went to check on the damage. Upon turning on the light in the room, I noticed no broken glass on the floor. What?


My wife was right behind me and she lifted up the curtain to see an absolutely perfectly intact window. She tapped on the glass with her finger. The glass was sound as could be. She looked at me with a puzzled look on her face. I asked her if she heard what I heard, the glass chards breaking on the floor. Yes, she said. I fully expected to see a rock or a brick laying on the floor as well. That is just what I expected from the sound, But there was none. I checked the other window in the room. Perfectly sound. I checked all the other windows in the house. I checked the neighbors windows early the next morning. All intact and just fine thank you.


One night we were sound asleep and heard the back door screen door slam shut. First thing I did was check the hook on the inside of the door. It was latched. There wasn't any reason to have heard what we did. The door, by the sound, was swung open and swung shut hard, as if the wind had caught it. The hinge had an odd little creak to it. We heard that as well, both as it opened and as it had apparently shut.

They had replaced some of the front door area, but it was quite clear that at least once, a shotgun had tried to blast open the front door. There was quite a clear pattern of shot gun pellets showing in the remaining wood that hadn't been replaced.

Then there was the Night I heard clearly my daughter fall out of her bed and land with a soft thud on the old wooden floor, as though her 50 pound body was wrapped still in blankets just as I had left her a few hours earlier. As I laid there wiping the sleep from my eyes, I heard her get up and thud thud thud ever so softly as she headed for the kitchen. I then heard her little feet walk and creak across the vinyl kitchen floor towards somewhere there and then stop. I got up, and headed for the kitchen I turned on the kitchen light to see ...

Nothing, at least no one.

She should have been standing there half asleep wondering aloud about something but she wasn't. I turned around and retraced the path she would have taken from her bed. There she was, still tucked into her bed just as I had left her when I had last seen her. This occurrence happened to me one other time before we finally left this crazy house. The second time was pretty much a repeat of the first, with me fully expecting to find my daughter in the kitchen and she was still asleep in her bed.

The night of the Kittens
My wife and I were both asleep again when we both woke up to our little kittens, probably 6 months old and three in number. Playful, full of energy and healthy, they loved to chase each other and with the bare wood floors throughout the house except for the vinyl covered bathroom and kitchen, they had a blast slipping and sliding and trying to overcome the laws of physics as they played. This night was first for them though, playing at night. They usually slept most of the night anyway. So we sat up in bed and walked to the next room, the living room. The sound stopped, the playing came to an end, the scratching of the little claws and the little sounds and thuds as their little furry bodies crashed into one another and the ensuing tackling and wrestling. We had heard it all. We heard the little growls and funny little mews, especially from our loud mouthed Siamese. I turned on the light by the couch. No kittens could be seen. We both called them, to come out of their hiding places. Nothing. Not so much as a peep. How weird we both though, for they generally were very lovey after their play sessions. So on a hunch I walked into the kids room. There were two of the cats asleep at the foot of one bed and the Siamese was sleep at the foot of our sons bed. Dead to the world. We both climbed into bed trying to figure out what had just happened. 24 years ago this took place and I am still trying to figure it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever research the property to find out what may have happened there?

Although, let's be honest, shotgun blasts in Oildale probably aren't all that uncommon... LOL

I did a stint or two in Oildale. ;)

Beamer said...

I answered you in the next post.

My time spent living in Oildale was just this one time. Other houses I and anyone I knew of lived in never had the remnants of a gun fight displayed for all that entered the house.

If you want, I have more stuff I could relate about living there.

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying the stories of this house. We've done a lot of appraisals in Oildale and I keep trying to picture which one it might be...

Beamer said...

I asked My wife if she so much as remembered the name of the street we were on at that house. She pretty much feels the same way I do. She doesn't remember and would hope she never has to go by there again.

Beamer