Friday, April 18, 2008

STRANGE

Actually the title should be more Like SSSttttrannnge!!!

A recent email reminded me of an experience which I think I had pretty much forgotten on purpose.

I was at home in our apartment (actually the location we moved to after the house in Oildale) and it was late at night. I am thinking sometime around midnight, but I am not certain. My wife and children were asleep and I was getting ready for bed. I had just turned of the TV and the apartment was very quiet.

Until, just as I was heading for the bedroom, there was a loud banging on the front door. I turned and faced the door, wondering who that could possibly be. Then the banging came again, this time much louder. Now it was plenty loud the first time. Cops at the front door wanting your attention loud (Not that I have ever experienced such a thing - just from watching movies) The first time it was sort of like someone being pissed and wanting your butt outside so they can kick it loud. None of which made any sense to me at nearly midnight.



The second round of knocks, if I can call it that was a resounding knock. It was as if the door was going to fly into the living room and fly off the hinges type of knock. It boomed and filled the whole living room with its thunder. It was way past being some one being upset type of knock. This round of knocks brought a chill to my spine. I took a couple of steps towards the door then stopped. What the hell am I doing? I ain't answering that door at this hour.

Then came a third pounding. This was so much louder than the other two. This was as if someone was having a huge stereo system with a ton of base and it was ponding towards my door. I knew for certain that the family was going to awake as well as all the neighbors, that and I fully expected the door to literally fall apart. What the hell is that? It went from a chill in my spine to the hair on my neck and arms standing on end. This was not good. I retraced my steps backward and waited, facing the door. Hoping that it had had enough, what ever it was. Hoping the door remained steadfast, because I didn't want to face what was on the other side. I fully expected the wife and kids up at any minute.

A minute went by. Then two. Quiet. A third minute. I turned and headed for bed assured that it had finished. I fell asleep in bed.

When I awoke, the first thing I did was inspect the door, figuring the impacts had left some kind of impression in the poor front door. Everything was fine. I asked my wife when she awoke if she had heard any pounding on the door last night. Nope. The kids hadn't either nor did the neighbors ever say anything about the nights events.

I successfully buried the night away deep until Amy and her email. Thanks Amy. LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely petrifying!

Beamer said...

At first I though it was somebody drunk, having fun. Then on the second round, it was like what the hell is that?

On the third time, well, you pretty well summed it up. Never experienced anything like before or since, thank God.

Beamer