Sunday, March 11, 2007

Learning to stay in the moment ...

Ok, the way I learned how to get into and staying in the moment was rather easy for me to figure out, not that I had any choice. I worked as a cashier by myself mostly during the graveyard (10pm to 6 am) shift at an Arco self serve Convience store.

If you can imagine having a large enviroment that you are responsible for and have to operate a cash register while trying to make sure that your not getting ripped off (It wasn't in a very good neighborhood), giving correct change and all the other bull that you get to do with that job.

The trick was staying in focus, right then, at that precise moment, and not letting outside interferance goof you up, especially at the register. After about 6 months of that, I had it down pat. It wasn't easy to master, but once I did, it improved my sense of life going on around me.

Now the down side of this, is once you are "on", in the moment, it is hard to turn off, at least for me. Actually I have no intention of living life amy other way. One of the places which it is no fun is at the dentist office, trying not to focus on what is going on in your mouth with sharp implements, but still hearing and smelling everything intently. Not good.

Beamer

No comments: